Sunday, August 24, 2008

5 years has come & gone

August 23rd David & I celebrated 5 years together....the fastest 5 years of my life. Time flies when you are having fun right? David mentioned that if we didn't have 2 kids he's not sure he would believe that it's been 5 years. We had such a good time celebrating. I drove up to Flagstaff to meet my mom Friday afternoon & she took the girls for the weekend. Friday night David & I went to the movie theater & watched Mummy 3 (the only non R rated movie that sounded good) & thank goodness for the gift card my sister gave us for our anniversary because the movie at 420 in the afternoon was 9.75!!! Are you kidding me....or has it just been that long since I've been out? Then we went to Native NewYorker (Brett is probably the only person who knows what this place is) and ate chicken wings, watched the Olympics, baseball & football while playing trivia until 11 pm (by the way that's really late for us). Saturday we slept in until 9 & talked about how far we have come in 5 years & memories of our wedding day & that first year. We got ready to go to the temple & when we walked out to our car.........the tire was flat!









And the large screw in the tire would be why. We took the gas guzzler & left it for later. We were able to spend about 4 hours at the temple & then we came home, took care of the tire & had dinner at Subway. Then we had some friends that gave us a gift for our anniversary that included 2 gift cards to Walmart & instructions to go separate ways, buy each other something that the other wants & share the gifts when we got home. Now this may be easy for some but we are on such a strict budget here that we don't even think about, much less share those thoughts about things that we "want"...we barely get what we "need" so this task took us almost 2 hours but it was so much fun. We didn't go to San Diego like we wanted but we had a beautiful, fun time just being together & remembering what it was like before we had kids & responsibility. It was so amazing to talk about where we had been & where we are going...and to think that when we celebrate 10 years Zhara will be 9!!! Thanks to Grandpa & Grandma Burney for taking the kids and allowing us to celebrate & not just go out for a few hours. I am so grateful for these past 5 years and for our love that has grown beyond measure. Here's to the next 5 years.......wonder where we will be????


The rainbow we saw on our way into Walmart was a nice touch! You can't see it but it was a full double rainbow & we could see the rain falling but it was evaporating before it hit the ground...welcome to the Valley!


p.s. to all those who are curious as to what we got each other it is listed in the comments



7 comments:

Valeri said...

Sounds like a wonderful anniverary, despite the flat tire. Glad you had some alone time to reflect together and enjoy your special day, kid free.

Kim said...

Can I ask? What did you purchase for each other? What a cool gift idea. Loved hearing your voice on the phone. Kim

The Goulds said...

David bought me an ironing board (that doesn't squeak!!!!) and a cutting board that I have been talking about for years & I got him the Phantom of the Opera cd because it was one of our favorite musicals we saw together and we both got chocolate of course :)

Cristi said...

RIght on-- chocolate!!!

Leslie said...

I wish I could have been there for your sealing five years ago!! anyway, I miss you guys terribly! Glad you had a fun time together.

Camille Foote said...

What a perfect way to spend your day together. I had to smile when reading your post because I remember when you two got married. We had just barely got married the month before and moved into the Stetson Hills ward and you were in Gospel Essentials class with us. I can not believe it has been 5 years so crazy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy five-year anniversary! Reading about your special celebration brought tears. What a fun gift idea. I love what you got each other. And of course you would receive opposition with plans to go to the temple! Glad you made it :).

Love you!
Jill