
Zhara made a trip to the dentist today. A few months ago her filling in her front tooth fell out & I discovered a cavity, a rather large one, in one of her molars. The search for a dentist began. I asked our old dentist for a reference & oddly enough one of his best friends, that he went to dental school with, is here in the Valley as a pediatric dentist. So here is Zhara with the bubble gum gas mask on. David & her would take deep breaths together & pretend to dive to the bottom of the pool & as the "laughing" gas started to kick in she said "Daddy your face is green". She did a great job & didn't cry until the end when she had fallen asleep & woken up but didn't know where she was.
We took her to McDonald's & she ate some ice cream with her new doll that she picked out from the treasure box. We have one more round to go with her but she did such a good job. Note to all mothers: listen to the people who say do not send your baby to bed with a bottle. They may not rot out their front teeth but it weakens all their teeth & they will end up 6 cavities at the age of 4.

7 comments:
Poor girl. Her story is all too familiar. I too had cavities at the age of 4. Not fun for anyone - child or mom!! Glad she did so great! Good luck with the next round.
I hear you. Cyan had 4 at age 5. I am hoping that we changed their habits enough that Olivia will not have to go through it.
She's so brave! What a cutie!
Way to be brave Zhara!!! Evan likes the picture of you with the mask on your face at the dentist's office. He thinks you'd be a great super hero.
What a brave Zhara we have! Wow! What an adventure! I'm glad the dentist had a bubble gum mask and that David was there with his green face :).
Don't feel too guilty though, precious girl (you, April :). You're right about not sending a baby to bed with a bottle, but our kids' dentist also said that the constitution of teeth in the same family can be very different. David (Valeri's bro) just turned 35 today and never had even one cavity until recently. Poor Valeri struggled more (as she said, Zhara's story is all-too-familiar). Our dentist said their teeth were as different as night and day - and honestly, I don't remember doing things differently with the two of them (if anything I was more careful with Valeri's teeth just because I was a more experienced mom by then). So....who really knows exactly. But, like you said, it's good to do as much as possible to prevent cavities. They are never fun. I still see Valeri's little face when we got her a big cuddly teddy bear on the way home from the dentist and how she just clung to him.
Love you all....
Jill
Wow! I just finished the previous comment, but when I saw what time it came in (7:05 p.m.) I just had to shout HOORAY because David was born EXACTLY at that time thirty-five years ago today. (You know....now that I think about it, it could have been 7:04 p.m. Oh well.....close enough!) How about that?
So Valeri's precious big brother is officially thiry-five years-old now! And it happened on YOUR blog! :)
Love you all!
Jill
Emma has a cavity, too! She's getting it filled in a couple weeks. Not fun.
Post a Comment