Monday, September 7, 2009

Hawaii: Pearl Harbor

Friday we went to Pearl Harbor. It was a 30 min taxi ride there & then we waited an hour to be able to go out to the USS AZ. Being over the ship that serves as a tomb to 1700 men was very sobering. We watched a movie of news footage of the attack at Pearl Harbor. There are no words to describe the feelings that it brought. It was very sad, but I'm so glad that we took the time to see this part of our history. We took a boat out to the memorial & there were rails all inside the memorial to keep you from falling in the water. David told the girls not to put their heads through the rail.....well Alyssa didn't listen so well & almost got her head stuck. So here we are in this cemetery & everyone is quiet & reflecting on what these men did for our country & Alyssa is screaming because she is afraid her head is stuck & thoughts were going through my head about it being stuck, fortunately we pulled it out & I'm hoping she learned that lesson the first time. The girls enjoyed playing on all the submarine equipment & although they didn't really understand what it all meant, I am forever changed because of this memorial.Zhara loved the big gun

Driving the sub
Alyssa drove the sub almost the entire hour we waited This oil has been leaking up for over 60 years

The names of the soldiers that are buried in the ship

3 comments:

The Perkins Family said...

I love the pic of Zhara and Alyssa on the sub. So cute! I'm glad you guys had such a good trip. But you really need to stop posting pictures of it because you're making me want to go back sooo bad :)!!!

David Gould said...

Yeah, me too!!!

Cristi said...

isn't the memorial so touching?